24 October 2010

Deleted Scene Episode 2

Warning: Not really edited- expect errors.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Your smile's creepy!"
You’re the only one who’d say that to my face. Other than Inoichi. Shikaku chuckled and jumped up on to one of the rooftops beside him. He bent down from his position on the roof and stared at the black haired boy in amusement.
Harii looked up at him with a smile and said, "Thanks Nara-san!"

Shikaku waved it off and said, "Go get ready to meet your relative." I almost wish I could watch it. Even if it’s bound to be sappy and loud. He moved out of sight and landed on a roof far away from the boy. Why is he staring at the roof like that with that ridiculous smile on his face? No sense of self preservation at all. 

Shikaku watched intently as Harii closed his eyes in concentration and then relax with a visible sense of relief. Did he… no, I didn’t sense any chakra from him. He wasn’t doing any sensing. Otherwise he’d have noticed me here. Unless he was looking for Racoon? Ugh…it’s not even a week since I’ve known him and I’m already got tons of questions about him. 

Shikaku stayed in place and watched Harii until he went in to his apartment and closed the door behind him. He gave the apartment one long look before turning away. No point waiting here. It’d just look suspicious if there were any other followers for him. They’d think I was on to them.

He jumped from one roof to another and took the longer route to the Administration Building. Not like the Hokage told me to hurry or anything. He smirked. Best to take the opportunity presented to me.
Even with his slow pace, he reached the building in minutes. With a sigh, he climbed up the side of the building and landed on the roof just in front of an open window. He gave a slight nod in the direction he knew an ANBU guard was stationed and jumped in to the office.

He blinked warily at the silent stares that greeted him. They couldn’t have been waiting that long. 

“Did you get lost on the way back?” Inoichi grinned and went through a sequence of seals. The room hissed with a brief flare of chakra.

“Just checking the area.” Shikaku shrugged absently.

Everyone in the room tensed and the Hokage shot him a questioning look. He nodded at her and her posture relaxed as she rubbed her forehead. “Good. He’s laying low for now.”

Not for long. Especially not with Danzo. Shikaku wanted to say. But he didn’t think he needed to tell the Hokage that. She knows Danzo will do something later.
 
“All right, let’s get down to business!” The Hokage turned to Ibiki and said, “What did you gather from him?”
Ibiki closed his eyes and tilted his head to the side. “His reactions were definitely honest. Not rehearsed in any way. His eyes were too honest so no ninja training what-so-ever.”

Hiashi, his eyes back to normal, nodded beside Ibiki. “His chakra responded accordingly. There wasn’t any deception.”

“Anything else, Ibiki?”

“Just speculation.” Ibiki hesitated. “He didn’t seem horrified by my scars.”

Shikaku frowned as Tsunade narrowed her eyes. “Survived some form of torture?”

Ibiki shook his head. “Hard to say considering he only saw a few scars. He must be used to them. Even Shikaku has them.”

Shikaku frowned when everyone turned to him. “He didn’t react to my scars. Didn’t stare… but then again he does have a scar on his forehead.”

Tsunade gave him an appraising look.

“I played shogi with him.” Shikaku sighed in resignation as everyone’s look became very focused.

“Oh?” Tsunade leaned forward. “I thought he just fixed one of your boards.”

Shikaku shrugged. “I asked him to play a game.”

“You asked him?” Inoichi asked.

I just wanted to pass the time. But they won’t see it that way. Shikaku scratched his elbow absently. How was I supposed to know he was…

“And?” Inoichi prodded him.

“Yoshino made him stay for dinner. He’s very polite, sometimes a bit extreme and even though he’s skinny he has a deep appreciation for food.” Shikaku glanced at Tsunade who nodded. Of course she’d notice. Typical behaviour for orphans who were starved at some point. “And there was his owl.”

“His owl?”

Shikaku nodded his head in amusement. “She’s not a like our messenger owls. She’s unique. You have to see her to understand.”

“Nin- animal?”

“In a way,” Shikaku said, “she’s smart. Definitely human like intelligence even if she doesn’t speak.”

“Are you sure she doesn’t speak?” Tsunade asked.

“She’s bossy enough without the ability.” Noticing the other’s questioning looks he added, “Shikamaru annoyed her. The scratches haven’t healed yet.” Shikaku rolled his eyes as everyone in the room failed to hide their humour.

Hiashi cleared his throat. “What about the bandages on his hands?”

Shikaku shook his head. “He carried the fixed shogi board all the way from the 8th district to my house. I figured those bandages were some sort of protection for his fingers. Why?”

“From what I could see of his left hand, it looked like there wasn’t any chakra circulating in his palms.”

“What? Why didn’t you say that sooner?”

“Impossible!”

“What about his right arm?”

Shikaku winced at the three voices speaking simultaneously and even Hiashi looked irritated. But he took a deep breath and explained. “His chakra is civilian level so I didn’t think it was possible for him to have a block. And since he didn’t seem to be in any pain when he moved them, I figured it didn’t really matter.” Shikaku frowned at the man and Tsunade glared at him. “His right arm, from the wrist to the elbow was hard to concentrate on but I did notice that the right palm lacked any chakra flow.”

Hard to concentrate on… “Some kind of seal on the arm bracer?” Shikaku wondered out loud and turned to the Hokage who was glaring at the table. “Hokage-sama?”

“Even if he is a civilian, disruption in chakra circulation causes a lot of pain. For him to not feel that…” Tsunade frowned and looked at Inoichi. “He didn’t show any signs of being drugged, did he?”

Inoichi shook his head. “And with my cursory inspection, no signs of being brain washed.”

Shikaku glanced at Inoichi. So Tsunade didn't order him to go in to Harii's head. I guess she's already getting a soft spot for him.

“And there was his reaction to Danzo.” Tsunade signed, opened one of her drawers and pulled out a bottle.

Shikaku snorted. Reaction? More like blatant baiting. “At least Naruto doesn’t know much about Danzo.”

Tsunade groaned.
X-X-X-X-X
Shikaku paused as Inoichi tapped him on the shoulder, “The last person you called an idiot worth playing shogi with was Minato”

Shikaku looked up at the dark sky and took a deep breath revelling in the smell of grass, smoke and a touch of rain. “So?”

“When I can meet him?”

“He’s not fond of people our age”

“But he’s fine with you?”

“When have I ever acted my age?”

Inoichi snorted. “Honestly, what do you think of him?”

“I think his heart is too soft. And it’ll kill him.”

Inoichi coughed and stared at him. “You feel responsible for his well being?”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Shikaku turned away with a huff.

“You want to keep him safe for Naruto? I don’t get it…why would you, of all people, want…unless he’s more like Minato then you’re telling me. Shikaku! Did he use some sort of sacrificial move in your game?”

Shikaku sighed. “He tried to save all of them. Even the pawns…like an idiot.”

“It’s just a game.” Inoichi tried to console him. “He’s a civilian. Surely there’s no way he’d ever come into such a position.”

Shikaku grimaced. “He’s an Uzumaki. I don’t think they can stay in the shadows even if they wanted to.” And what happens when he learns about Naruto?

“What would another game accomplish?”

“He can learn.” Learn how not to be an idiot. Learn to stay alive for Naruto.

“Minato never did.”

“And look what happened to Naruto.”

Inoichi frowned. “He turned out all right.”

“Are you kidding? Tell me you’re not that blind.” Shikaku said.

“He turned out all right for an orphan.”

“Don’t be stupid, Inoichi.”

“Well what do you want me to say? That I feel guilty for not taking the time to check up on him? We’re ninja, Shikaku. It doesn’t matter.”

“We swore loyalty to Minato. It should have mattered.”

“There’s something else, isn’t there? What aren’t you telling me?” Inoichi looked at him.

“It’s nothing.” Shikaku shook his head. “Listen I better get home before Yoshino gets cranky.”

“Fine.” Inoichi sighed and looked away. “But you owe me an explanation when you finally understand things.”

Shikaku nodded and turned away. If I ever understand things.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought I already put this up last week and I checked my blog today and noticed it wasn’t there. I’m so muddle-headed.
Was supposed to be a humorous thing. But somehow ended up like this. This was created after combining bits and pieces of my writing that was scattered around. So it might seem a bit choppy. I know I had some more bits, but I can’t seem to find them.
Polar

12 comments:

  1. Well, that was interesting... I thought Shikaku was a little more suspicious than that. It's funny to compare their "real" (meaning the author's version) reaction to what I thought. I like how protective of Naruto he is. It's funny he's as bemused than Kotetsu and Izumo by Harry's candidness... Or what they see as candidness anyway. Harry hasn't been as innocent as they think in a while. Well, they noticed the probable malnourishment. Doesn't care about scars... well, I guess HE wouldn't. And he's seen Madeye... But I don't want Shikaku to teach him to become jaded like a ninja.
    Anyway, I really enjoyed this "deleted scene".

    Thanks for pointing fictions from time to time. I'm not a Buffy fan, but I read Life's ending, life's beginning in one night... Cross over are suche a treat when they're sensibly done! (which means not so often). And the Nara family story was sooo cute!!

    End of the month coming, and no 11th chapter. Does that mean we'll have to wait until december to watch Harry scoff at Danzo and the elders? I respect that (I have a busy life myself, and NaNoWriMo seems like a fun (if exhausting) experience). But well, that still sucks...

    No, you're usually not a "cliff hanger" author, fortunately. But last chapter... well, a little bit, yes.

    Good luck for NaNoWriMo, and come back to us soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. romantiscueOctober 28, 2010

    Small coment, because I don't have the time to write the review-ish thing I really wanted: Loved this. I really liked their speculations about Harry, especially Ibiki's little note that Harry hadn't reacted to his scars. And well, Harry has been tortured before, even if it didn't leave physical scars.

    I also really like how much Shikaku cares/is worried about Harry - the shougi thing, with Harry trying to save all of the pawns just struck me as incredibly *Harry*.

    Hope we'll see more Shikaku/other people POV. It'd be great to see an Ibiki POV, LOL. Hary running into him and promptly inving him to dinner or something XD

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I like this. Am relieved to find that the shinobi aren't half as suspicious as I feared - though Harry's luck came to play again - had Hiashi/Ibiki/Inoichi checked when Harry was telling his 'history' to Tsunade they'd probably have more to be suspicious of. Why didn't Inoichi try to go into Harry's head though? I thought at first that Inoichi doesn't usually go looking into people's heads unless they're clearly an enemy, but even Shikaku seems surprised.

    And speaking of Shikaku, he's turning to be my favorite secondary character. Not only did he deduce Harry's authority-defying personality through a boardgame, but his "saving people thing" too? Sweet. I also like the other shinobi's speculation - particularly on Harry's appreciation for food - that's very spot on ( and it makes Tsunade giving Harry that box of Dango more heartwarming). Harry being compared to Minato wasn't something I expected , but I do see the resemblance now.

    Small nitpick - didn't Hedwig stay in the apartment when Harry went to meet Tsunade and the rest? I thought it was really adorable when Harry grabbed her to tell her the news as soon as he got home, so that's how I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your Ibiki obsession. I honestly don't know if there'll be a future scene with him later on- in my draft so far he doesn't make direct contact with Harry. But I suppose I could try a drabble that's outside the story timeline.

    Sometimes I feel having Harry meet and get friendly with too many ninjas would be almost gary-stu like. Not to say he won't meet other ninja but still, I think I'm going to be making Harry interact with ninja who are mainly connected with Naruto- that itself is a large list.

    Glad you like the scene- I wondered if it was too non-ninja like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup Harry does seem to have luck on his side. I wonder if I've made him a wee bit too lucky at this point. I must resit the urge to suddenly just give Harry a whole bunch of bad/terrible luck.

    The Inoichi bit- err, maybe I should edit that bit. I don't really remember where I was trying to go with that. I don't think Inoichi would just blatantly try to enter someone's mind unless he was ordered to. Until then, he'd just observe the facial features or something to create his opinion of the person.

    Ohh, I didn't even notice that bit with Hedwig at the start. Good catch- will remove it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. romantiscueOctober 29, 2010

    I know. Me and my Ibiki obsession *embarrassed laugh* Well, if you write a drabble Ibiki-meets-Harry I'll love you forever?

    And I know what you mean about making Harry a bit Gary Stu like, should he run around and meet all mentioned canon ninjas. But I should think Ibiki - what with him being the interrogator to shame all interrogators, and Harry being a mystery - I could see Tsunade sending him out to try to get more of a grasp on Harry's personality. Maybe after some mysterious thing happens around him, and they become more suspicious. Just a thought.

    I don't think the scene was too non-ninja-like! They don't have any hard evidence, or even any real suspicions about what's going on with this new Uzumaki. I mean, them being suspicious and having conspiracy theories just to assert that they are, in fact, ninjas would just make it seem like they were channeling Moody. Once they have more suspicions, I'm sure they'll have a more ninja-like convo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So what exactly do you like Ibiki for? He does have a bit more of a role that most of the other supporting cast in Naruto but still... there's so much about him that's kind of unknown. Is this some kind of tough guy obsession?

    You know I always associate Ibiki with Anko... as in an actual pairing but people seem to think my thoughts are the epitome of wrong. I mean how is that more wrong that Anko with Iruka... sheesh! Ah well. Everyone seems to be a bit obsessed with Anko... side note- someone asked me to pair her up with Harry. Actually more than one person asked for that. And gosh, why am I talking of Anko when you never even mentioned her?

    I think it's hard to draw the line at what to include as suspicions. When you're the author you sort of know what is the suspicious bits and where Harry is lying. But how much of that can the ninjas actually see? It's hard to write from the ninja's mentality only. Can't make them too observant. Just observant enough to get the obvious and a few non-obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. romantiscueOctober 31, 2010

    I don't really know why he fascinates me so much. Probably because although he's rather frightening in apperance, I imagine he's a pretty good - and above all, interesting - person. Also, because the thought of him and Harry having a conversation amuses me greatly; I like the contrasts between the two of them, especially with a civilian!Harry who doesn't stare at his scars, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. Imagining how Ibiki might react to him, or what he might think about Harry in general, amuses me XD

    And yeah, it's fanon that Anko and Ibiki somehow belong together, isn't it? That she is/was his subordinate in T&I. That said, I absolutely can't see her with Iruka. Really, they just seem like an incredibly mismatched pairing to me. Oh, and please don't pair her with Harry - I doubt she's an ephebophile (or whatever it's called) - ...oh, but there won't be any pairings in AtO. I forgot that for half a second*wipes forehead* :) Either way, Anko hasn't left much of an impression on me *shrug*

    Well, I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but authors have a way of having ninjas/people-in-similar-professions draw outrageously spot-on conclusions with very little evidence, just because the suspect/other party is a civilian. I would think evidence would be needed to make a semi-accurate assumption no matter how genius/ninja they are. Way to tip the scales unevenly *shakes head* You did a good job, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure if Anko and Ibiki are actually fanon- but they seem to fit each other in my mind at least. They're almost made for each other. She's an interesting character- a strong female. But true, she hasn't really done much in canon to leave a lasting impression. Personally I like Konan and Tsunade as strong Kunoichi- they're unique and memorable.

    Well in those cases I think the author is trying to make the ninjas more Sherlock like- which works sometimes and creates the wow factor. I'm probably never going to do another group speculation scene- I think it's best to leave those to people's imaginations. I think I have more of a wizard mentality anyway. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am rapidly falling in love with these outside views. And I wanna know moooooorre!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its a good thing Inoichi never tried to get into Harry's mind, considering all the crap he went through to keep Voldemort out, he'd probably flip out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a bit of an understatement.

    ReplyDelete