24 October 2010

Drabbles- Writing Exercise

This is basically an attempt to try writing different things and convey a scene in a few words and within a short amount of time (i.e. few minutes only).

Some of it may be nonsensical but the whole point is to challenge yourself to think on the spot and write.

Warnings: Not edited. Doesn't really take place in AtO's established time-line so far.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1- Harry's attempt to branch out into other businesses.
“Oh Harii-san, this is the BEST FOOD I’VE TASTED” Lee shouted as he finished the food in the bowl within a matter of seconds.
Harry groaned and rubbed his forehead. How had this happened?
“See I told you Nii-san’s a pro at this. Isn't this just the most awesome stuff you've tasted.”
Ah Right! Naruto had gone advertising for someone to test out my cooking.
“YOSH! WE MUST GET THE OTHERS TO TRY THIS YOUTHFUL DELICACY.”
What? More cooking? No! Hedwig gave Harry a sympathetic look before leaving through the window.
Traitor.

2- Harry's attempt to get Itachi to talk
Harry pursed his lips in annoyance. “Is that some sort of Uchiha ninja trait?”
Itachi turned to him with a confused expression.
“To be annoying?” Harry said with an amused smirk.
Itachi glanced at him incredulously then turned away once more. Hedwig left Harry’s shoulder and settled on Itachi’s shoulder after giving Harry a long reproachful look.
“My own owl is siding with you.” Harry shifted dismally.

3- Danzo attempts to talk with Harry over tea/ Harry irritates Danzo
“Are you trying to poison me?” Harry said as he looked at the tea swirling around in the cup.
Danzo gave him an irritated look.
“What? I’m not a ninja! I’m allowed to be unsubtle.”
“I didn’t.” Danzo lifted his own cup, took a sip and shot the boy a pointed look.
“Pft, like I’d believe that.”
“Fine I did.”
“Sarcasm doesn’t suit you. You’re too old and evil looking to pull it off.”
Danzo sighed.

4- Harry attempts to fend off a suitor
"Look Ryuuken-san, I already told you I'm not interested. Didn't you get the letter?" Harry turned away from the man in irritation.
"But your owl would create a new breed of owl for this village. I'm willing to pay you..."
Harry turned back to man and glared at him.
"How dare you! She's not some object that you can just buy and then discard when you don't want. She's worth way more than that and she deserves a lot more respect." Harry winced as he realized that everyone in the area around him had gone silent. I guess I was a bit too loud.
Suddenly someone clapped. And then everyone was clapping and patting Harry on the back and telling him he was a good kid.
One lady came forward and glared at Ryuuken. "How dare you think of treating some lady like garbage?"
Wait. what? Harry gaped as the woman started talking about women being the backbone of society and needing more respect. I should probably leave before they realize the real situation.

5- Kotetsu attempts to get some money/ Harry meets some more ninja
Harry took the pouch of money from Izumo and placed it on his table absently.
"You're not going to count it?" Izumo said as he went through the box of fixed items.
Harry just shrugged. "Should I?"
"You're way too trustful!"
"I suppose." Harry yawned, opened his fridge and pulled out some food.
Kotetsu clapped his hands suddenly. "You know what would be a great idea to get some more business?"
Harry and Izumo both stared at the grinning man.
"You should come to one of our poker games."
Izumo groaned but Harry looked interested.

Some unknown place in Konoha, late night.
"I can't believe he won again." Genma threw his cards down in disgust.
"At least Kotetsu isn't winning this time!" Izumo said as Harry pulled his winnings closer to him.
"But this seems worse." Aoba straightened his dark tinted goggles tiredly. "His luck is rather monstrous."
Raido took a sip from the bottle next to him and patted Kotetsu's back consolingly. "Now you know what it's like to be on the other side."
Kotetsu just whimpered.
I'm glad I can remember all their names. Harry looked around the table and grinned. "So who wants to play another round."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I think five drabbles in a row is not bad. My attempts at creating humorous scenes. I do have the insane urge to read over them and add more to each. But then it wouldn't really be drabbles, would it?

Polar

6 comments:

  1. Hehe, finally got my Harry/Lee scene...
    And I like that he's inherited the same luck in games than Naruto. At least they have luck for one thing in their life...
    Did Danzo actually poison him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you hadn't already warned that this one wasn't in the timeline of OTA I'd say that you did one major mistake in the Itachi one. I don't think you had Itachi tell Harry his last name during the fic. Anyways I really liked the Lee drabble and I wouldn't mind seeing one where Naruto and Harry play a chance like game against each other. It would be a intresting read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once read a fic that had an older Naruto making his genin team wear his shade of orange while saying something like,"when you can avoid detection wearing this color, then you KNOW you're a REAL ninja."...I always wanted to see that expanded on with a younger naruto

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've seen a fic like that... I think it was one of those smart-Naruto fics, where the only reason he starts doing pranks is a sort of training in speed and evasion. Can't quite remember what the fic's name was though.

    Did something in my post here inspire that line of thought or something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. no, i thought as long as you were doing drabbles....or if you want harry to publicly defend Naruto's fashion sense with a thought provoking, albeit funny, observation....well, it has definite comic value that has never been fully exploited. I think I saw it in a fic titled something close to "the last step" or whatever....Naruto was not really more intelligent....but this fact was obscured by a definite hike in maturity and experience but still has his dumb moments...pretty typical guy actually.....when he was 18 my husband was easily distracted with shiny cars and the idea of marriage and kids terrified him...now, 9-10 years later, he is much more mature(family oriented) but still tends to miss his turn if he sees a nicely souped up car pass by when he's driving.....more mature, yes.....smarter-less susceptible to his old distractions, no. And he still exclaims over attractive women(jailbait) Maturity only goes so far. My point is that whoever wrote what I read before Can certainly have naruto mature without compromising his character...because maturity actually changes very little...there is a lot more rationalizing and I can see an older naruto rationalizing a reason to continue wearing his favorite color despite its high visibility....or having an untold backstory with him changing it out at some point for something more ninja-like and discovering that his ability to hide wearing orange made his abilities skyrocket in the proper color and everything became less challenging(FUN)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know... I really wonder if Naruto will keep wearing as much orange when he gets older. In the manga/anime, I feel like the only reason he started wearing orange was to get noticed by people. He wanted them to remember him and acknowledge his existence and stuff like that.

    When he finally does become Hokage, I have a feeling he'll just have a splash of orange- not a complete jumpsuit- just enough to probably be called the Orange Hokage. Not because he's tired or orange or grown up or anything like that- but because he's achieved his dream and has people acknowledging him for his strength and stuff...or maybe I'm just sappy like that. Gosh the thought of Naruto as Hokage makes me irrationally giddy with happiness...

    Either way it's an intriguing thought. And I'm sure Harry's been wondering about all the orange. He just hasn't had the opportunity to ponder on it just yet. Or more likely he doesn't really see the point of pondering it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete