06 January 2011

Requested Drabbles (Part 1)

So this is the first batch of requested drabbles.  I’ll be doing them small batches of 2-3 drabbles per post because long blog posts are just scary. So, don’t worry if your drabble isn’t written yet.

I tried to choose the ideas which seemed very unlikely to occur in the actual AtO plotline.

I've most probably twisted  the prompts in to something you hadn’t actually intended to see. What can I say? The urge to surprise you guys was too hard to resist.

Warnings: Not edited at all. Not part of established chapters for AtO.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1- Itachi hears about a familiar craftsman from Konoha (from Little Kaijuu)
“Rei! Wasn’t that one of a kind frame of yours broken?” An old lady said from the customer side of the counter.
Rei laughed. “It was. But I managed to get it fixed?”
“Fixed? How? Wasn’t it shattered?”
“It was. Remember how I was so mad at Hikaru because there was no way it could have been fixed,” Rei said her voice amused.
The customer nodded.
“Well, Hikaru came across a craftsman who could fix things back to its original form.”
“Really? Just like that? Why didn’t I hear of this craftsman?”
“You probably saw him. He came in here a few times as well. You just wouldn’t think of him as a craftsman. He was such a gentleman, always polite and respectful. And his beautiful white owl was so dignified.” Rei sighed and leaned forward. “I think he’s one of those fallen Princes. You know the ones who’ve been betrayed and fallen on to hard times forced to live as a commoner.”
Itachi perked up. Dignified white owl? Could it be? But he wasn’t a craftsman. He was a medic… and he was hardly prince-like. Itachi huffed and ate his dango relishing in the sweetness that spread in his mouth. No, it’s not him. He’s probably lost somewhere.
“Rei, you have such an overactive imagination…”
Itachi scoffed in agreement. Prince indeed…
“But now I remember who you’re talking about. The white owl is hard to forget. I really didn’t think he was a craftsman. Ohh I know that look, you’re thinking of getting Akane married to him right?”
Typical. Itachi finished his stick of dango.
“I think Harii would make the perfect husband for Akane.”
Harii? No… Itachi shook his head and took a sip of his tea. Harii is a very… common name, I suppose. Well, he can’t be the only Harii out there. It can’t be him.
“Oh they should. Can you just imagine the children? Such beautiful bright green eyes…”
Itachi promptly choked on his tea. 
2- Harry’s pain tolerance impresses Ibiki. (from Tails)
Harry paused in the street and stared at the flyer with wide eyes.
Izumo turned to Harry with a worried frown. “What?” 
“That’s the top of the line ultra-rare celebrity-endorsed stir-fry pan!” Harry said and pointed to the flyer. “Don’t you recognize it? It’s the perfect pan for making …”
Izumo crossed his arms in the air. “Don’t care.”
Kotetsu nodded beside Izumo. “Yeah, we’re going to be late…”
Harry turned back to the flyer. “I can’t believe they’re giving it away as a prize in an eating competition.”
“Right, well let’s hurry to Yakiniku’s…”
Harry interrupted him. “No, I’m entering this competition.”
“What? But…” Izumo walked closer to the flyer and frowned. “You won’t be able to win that competition.”
Harry glared at him. “I’m going to get that pan.”
X-X-X-X-X
Harry looked at the other contestants around him with an assessing gaze. I can do this. That person there might be a challenge… but I can do this.
Izumo shuffled behind him and prodded Harry’s shoulder. “Harii, you can still back out now. I really don’t think this is a good idea…”
Harry shook his head and stared at the owner of the small restaurant. “I need that pan.”
Kotetsu sighed. “Can’t you just buy it from somewhere?”
“There are only five in existence,” Harry said.
Izumo twitched.  “How do you even know about it, then?”
Harry shushed him as the owner of the restaurant came forward. “All right, let’s get down to the event you’ve all been waiting for. The last person standing gets the prize…”
X-X-X-X-X
 “Kamizuki, Hogane… what are you two doing here?” A gruff voice said. Harry was tempted to turn but he stopped himself and devoted his attention to the bowl in front of him.
“Ibiki-san?” Kotetsu sounded surprised.
Izumo said, “A friend is in the competition. We’re just cheering him?”
“Oh? Your friend must have guts. Where is he?”
There was some shuffling behind Harry and then Ibiki said, “You’re kidding.”
“No sir.”
“Not at all. We’re surprised he’s still in there,” Kotetsu said just as one of the competitors screamed with a red face and fainted.
Way to show faith in me guys. Harry rolled his eyes as he finished his bowl.
“And now we’re down to our final three. Now we’re going to bring out the highest level of spicy food our restaurant created. Yes, that’s right, the level that feels like you’re swallowing acid…”
“Harii,” Izumo said from behind. “Maybe you should…”
Harry turned around and glared at him absently examining the tall man standing beside Kotetsu and Izumo. Hmm, he looks familiar… and why is he smirking like that?
X-X-X-X-X
“What do mean I didn’t win?” Harry said and glared at the owner as Izumo and Kotetsu held him back. “I went through all your levels. I’m the only one conscious after that final round. That pan is mine…”
“Is there a problem here?” the gruff voice, from before interrupted them.
Harry watched as the owner turned to the voice in rage only to lose all colour in his face and start trembling. “S-s-shinobi-san, there’s no problem.”
“It seemed like there was. What’s with the ruckus, kid?”
What was his name again? Iki? No…Ibiki. Harry twitched. “He says he’s not giving me the pan because I cheated.”
“Cheated?” Ibiki said, “Do you have proof of him cheating?”
“No one is able to survive through our final level…”
Harry watched as Ibiki’s eyes narrowed. Oh, his scars really make him more intimidating. My scar probably just inspires pity or something.
“That’s not my question. I said …do you have proof of him cheating?”
The owner shook his head.
“Then shouldn’t you hand him his prize?”
“But it’s an ultra-rare…” the man started to protest but cowered when Ibiki glared.
After a few minutes, the owner shoved the pan in Harry’s hands with a sour look on his face.
Ibiki chuckled, “say kid, how about I treat you three to a free meal?”
Harry frowned when he noticed Izumo’s and Kotetsu’s shocked expressions and held the pan closer to him.
“I know a great chili place. But everyone I take there seems to find the food too spicy…” Ibiki laughed. “I don’t think you’ll mind.”
Oh, so he's not after the pan. Harry shrugged even as Kotetsu and Izumo groaned. “Sure, why not?” 
**Extra: If things were different (Absolute and total crack from me.)
Harry looked up at the sky. “You know, I’ve been thinking about getting Danzo a gift.”
The person beside him shifted and Harry turned to him. “No, really. I’m serious.”
The person shrugged slightly and looked away.
“Itachi, that’s not very nice. I’m sure he’s just a misguided person who’s actually very lonely and in need of gifts.”
“But Itachi didn’t say anything…” came Sai’s confused voice.
Naruto shushed him. “Nii-san said that because they were best friends they could communicate with their minds… it’s some sort of Uchiha ability.”
“Really?”
Harry had to smother a laugh when he caught wind of the whispers from behind them. He cleared his throat noisily. “No, I’m not going to give him that.”
Itachi quirked an eyebrow in disbelief.
“You know,” Harry said trying his best to keep his voice even. “If you can’t suggest something seriously, I’ll just do it myself.”
“But why is Harii speaking out loud?”
Naruto shushed him again. “Because nii-san likes the sound of his own voice.”
Itachi’s eyes sparkled in amusement and he turned away with his lips twitching.
Harry huffed. “I want to give him a gift, Itachi. Not a heart attack. He’s ancient, if I give him something like that, I’ll get in trouble.”
“Dammit, now I really want to hear what Itachi is saying!” Naruto whined. “He never says anything interesting to us. Why only nii-san?”
“Isn’t that because they’re best friends?”
Itachi raised his hand and made an odd signal.
Harry rolled his eyes. “Don’t be ridiculous. That’s even worse… seriously, aren’t you supposed to be older and more mature than me.”
Itachi gave him an exasperated look.
“Sasuke didn’t believe me when I told him about the Uchiha best-friend mind communication,” Naruto said.
“Maybe Sasuke is jealous,” Sai said wisely, “because he’s unable to do it.”
“You know,” Harry smiled, “that could work. Of course I’d need to do a bit of planning before but still…”
Itachi shook his head.
“Well, so what if he’s under house arrest, I’m sure he’ll appreciate the gift either way.” Harry snickered at Itachi’s dull look.
“Maybe we can get a Yamanaka to listen in on their conversations.” Sai suggested.
“Yeah! Let’s do that!” Naruto said.
“I can’t believe they actually fell for that act of yours,” Itachi said after a moment of silence when they were completely alone.
“Oh please! You were playing along as well. What was with that obviously fake hand signal?” Harry grinned. “So what do you think?”
Itachi rolled his eyes but nodded. “All right, we’ll continue till we’ve fooled everyone else.”
“This is going to be fun,” Harry said, “best friend.”
“Stupid is more like it. And since when were we best friends, anyway?” Itachi stood up. “Next time though, maybe we should…”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yay for drabbles! They make me practice and definitely help bring out new ideas and thoughts for the future.

Polar.
P.S. Errr.. maybe I should have warned you about the Itachi overload first? Pft...no. Where's the fun in that?

19 comments:

  1. " Because nii-san likes the sound of his own voice."
    Ok, internet is hard to come by so I have not yet manage to leave a proper review, but I must declare that line is inspired XD. God, now I really want that happy ending. I like the other two too, especially itachi's thought that Harry was hardly prince-like and the twist with the Ibiki drabble.
    If you're still accepting requests, may I ask for another alternate pov/ missing scene in the ' canon' AtO plot? Like romantiscue suggested, Shikaku's pov (you've made me nurse quite a budding crush on him, seriously) for chapter 11 would be awesome, or anything else that strikes your fancy really. Barring that, I'd like to second Tail's number 4.
    Thank you for the aweome update and bonuses :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to point out how appropriate it is that, in chapter 11, Harry is asked to repair a temple statue. One of the cannon statues is that of a Japanese "mythical" figure of the mountains that is known to have magical powers. Although the statue would have features too grotesque to be real, it is kind of funny that Harry would be asked to repair a statue of a yamabushi (a sort of Japanese wizard).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just imagine the monks telling him about the statue only for him to blurt out, "But we don't look anything like that!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. It only makes it funnier that the other statue is of a yōkai which according to myth often take the form of birds of prey...i.e. a hawk,an eagle,........or an owl. If that's where you are taking it, then I have to congratulate you on taking advantage of one of the few things that perfectly dove-tail together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fyi the bird yōkai is called a tengu

    ReplyDelete
  6. romantiscueJanuary 07, 2011

    Yay! Another person wishing for Shikaku POV :D

    Also... ROFL at Itachi's and Harii little mind game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. romantiscueJanuary 07, 2011

    The dignified Uchiha Itachi choking in surprise xD

    Ibiki being impressed at Harii's ability to eat spicy food *shakes head* I can imagine them bonding over chili at that restaurant and being best friends for ever and ever. Together with Itachi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm actually rather shocked with all the curiosity for Shikaku... is he really that interesting? Or it just because he's had the most interactions with Harry in AtO so far? And to think I was initially planning on making Harry rather antagonistic/bratty towards him...

    I think Itachi has the makings of a nice prankster in a separate alternate universe. He's obviously got the required poker face... =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harry, Itachi and Ibiki in one place at the same time being nice and getting along? Surely the universe would explode...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think big part of our interest in Shikaku, indeed, is that they have so much intercation that he's one of the most likely to have an opinion on Harry. And since he's supposed to be smart, we think he should have a smart (but uninformed) opinion...

    If you want to read a "joker Itachi" in alternate universe, go and have a look at "Flip Flop and Fly" by The Red Dragons Order...

    Malice2

    PS : your poll isn't complete. I would vote that I "hope" for a review, not at all that I "expect" it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see. To be honest, I don't think I'd be able to do him justice. At least for the previous omake, I could pull that off with some nice observations on his part. But to write something while he's playing shogi?

    If anything, his mind during a shogi game is probably twice as active/assessing/observant. One one part, he's already thinking a couple of moves ahead in the game. On another, he's assessing every move Harry makes on the part and then breaking it down to see if there's some hidden trait in it. He's also probably observing Harry in front of him outside of the game. And another part is probably trying to make connections to information that only a high ranking ninja would know. He's probably doing a lot more too...

    Hmm, ok I think I've managed to scare myself there. Shikaku's brain/PoV during a shogi game looks way too intimidating considering I don't understand shogi all that much.

    Personally I have a vague knowledge of what Shikaku knows/observes about Harry during the game. But I really don't think I'll be able to translate that in to writing... if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That line felt so silly but right when I wrote it...considering Harry's not much of a talker. But of course, when he's next to Itachi, he'd automatically be labeled as a very talkative person. And yay! for make believe happy endings.

    You don't have to trouble yourself to leave a review anywhere. Gosh, sometimes I feel so guilty when people tell me they skipped class and stuff to read the new chapter. Of course I'm deliriously happy...but still guilty. It's an odd sensation.

    The Shikaku PoV will have to wait till I'm a little less intimidated by his intellect. Or until i can come up with a non-shogi scene for him. Hmm I'll see what I can come up with for number 4.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm choosing to believe that in an alternate universe somewhere, that ending DID happen. :D

    Don't worry, I think sometimes I like my own voice too ...(eh, that didn't come out right). The point is, I do enjoy gushing over your fic, you need not feel guilty at all. The whole scarce Internet while traveling is personally frustrating for me also, so.

    I dunno if my previous comment was clear, but by 'everything else' I meant that I'd be happy with any other alternate pov, if that helps. Myself not being a chess person, I am also more interested in Shikaku's analysis of Harry rather than his thought process when playing shogi (as fascinating as that would be). The whole mistaking Harry as ninja plot bunny is too full of lol-potential to dismiss though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. romantiscueJanuary 08, 2011

    It would, but what a way for the universe to be destroyed *satisfied smirk*

    ReplyDelete
  15. romantiscueJanuary 08, 2011

    Ignore the shogi part of that scene and just have Shikaku think back on Harry after he's taken off? It doesn't matter if you don't feel as intelligent as Shikaku; I promise you, nobody here is! And it's an omake, so it's not like it has to be riding the edge of perfection... I mean, you pulled off the last Shikaku POV very well *carefully nudges you*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Little KaijuuJanuary 09, 2011

    Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!

    I loved the drabble I influenced and the other two as well, especially the thought of Harry getting on so well with Ibiki. He's the sort of person who would appreciate Harry's subborness and high pain tolerence. \o/

    I would love to see more Harry and Itachi interaction in the future, you write them so well even when Itachi's being cracktastic by not talking AT ALL. I can't wait until it swings back to in verse canon. Please tell me they meet again before Itachi dies? Please?

    I have an urge to read the Itachi heavy AtO chapter now. *slinks off*

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll try to think of something...but I'm not going to make any promises. If it doesn't come to me, I won't force myself to write a Shikaku PoV. I like writing Shikaku's dialogues but Harry's PoV will always be the most interesting to me.

    I also think that leaving things to people's imaginations is just so much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sai and Naruto as a double act just crack me up. That bit with Itachi and Harry's, er, best-friend-mind-talking was awesome.

    ReplyDelete