21 October 2011

On Chapter 13 and NaNoWriMo

I have a rough estimate of when I'll be be able to put chapter 13 online- end of December seems rather reasonable mostly because November is NaNoWriMo

I don't feel like doing the whole 50,000 words for NaNoWriMo this year. Instead I want to write a complete fanfiction multi-chapter story from start to finish within one month- each chapter would have to be published everyday/alternate day.

Sounds rather crazy, eh?

But just thinking about it makes me eager to try it out.

My previous NaNoWriMo, I kept whatever I wrote on my laptop itself- I never published it online where people could call me out on what I was writing.

And even though I got 50,000 words in the end- the story (plot) itself was never complete.

So this year instead of concentrating on getting just words out, I want to concentrate on finishing a story regardless of the wordcount.

Why do I want to do this?

Well, if you've read my previous posts- or just the sidebar on here- you might have noticed the large number of cross-over oneshots and stories that are waiting to be completed (sadly now there's a HpxSupernatural story in that list as well).

I keep thinking the stories are done- like my HpxFairy tail one- but when I read it over to put it online, I always end up adding more stuff to it!

It's getting beyond ridiculous. While I am really proud that I wrote so much over the months, I really want to finish those stories.

So if I finish a new story from start to finish in one month- then there's no reason for me to procrastinate on those other one-shots/stories/AtO chapter for more than 3-6 months.

At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Polar
P.S. The HPxSupernatural story... I completely blame "It's All in the Details" by Colleen. It's a time travel story, but somehow the character interactions spawned a plot bunny in my head where my favorite HP trio were the main focus. Re-watching Death's entrance in SPN's season  and reading a book on Celtic Mythology really didn't help matters.

P.P.S. There's another deleted scene coming up. Found a blob of text that never got published for chapter 6- so I''ll be re-writing it/adding more to it and putting it on here. It has a title- "Five times Harry unknowingly impresses others in AtO" Can you guess which five times those are?

2 comments:

  1. I always wonder why they have national novel writing month so close to Christmas.  One of the months between Christmas and Easter seem like a more common sense type choice.  Huge stretch of time without holidays.  I would say summer also but alot of people have plans for then. 

    Looking forward to the outtake and oneshots.  Are you going to stick to a 6 month update rate when it comes to ATO's from now on?  I would normally not mention it but I vaguely remember that you updated right after christmas last year and in the middle of this summer and you mentioned updating in december again.

    Anyways Good luck with NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For update rates, I honestly cannot say if this slow-pace will continue on to next year. This year wasn't the most hectic or anything, I just took long breaks in between chapters for many reasons (computer problems, wtf moments when I saw Kishimoto's newest chapters and writing other things so that I wouldn't get tired with AtO). I don't want to make any promises about speedier updates because that would just become unwanted pressure.

    As for NaNoWriMo, they keep it in November to teach people that there's no perfect time for writing in life. Even in the busiest times, you have to make your own time for writing- well, that's what my friend told me last year when I whined about it. It's a lesson that I honestly haven't learnt too well. Hopefully, a second time will make me learn better.  

    ReplyDelete