24 December 2018

AC_D5: Prompt Fill: Curse-Maker, Curse-Breaker

For the 5th post of my 2018's Advent Calendar, it's a prompt fill for this prompt sent in by
SilentReader: How about Curse-Breaker Harry, as the job he chose. It could be interesting. He could also threaten people with curses, and just like put a jelly-legs curse, tap-dancing hex etc. Or something that makes you clumsy which would be really bad for a ninja.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 
 
The ninja looked up from his papers and then with a wary look passed his papers on to another ninja.

Harry grew even more worried when this same reaction repeated a few more times, with each ninja looking at Harry with strange cautious looks.

The fifth ninja looked at the papers at least five times before he spoke to Harry. But even he had a cautious look. “On this paper, you’ve listed your job as a,” he hesitated.

“A curse breaker,“ Harry finished the sentence. He didn’t know what had pushed him to blurt that title out as his job when getting his paperwork but he had to deal with it now.

“You have religious training?” the ninja asked in a hushed voice.

“Not really,” Harry said, surprised that that portion of his paperwork worried the ninja.

“What exactly do you do?” the ninja asked.

Harry shrugged. “Exactly what it says, I break curses.”

The ninja’s lips pursed and his eyes twitched at the word curse. “What kind?”

Harry would have liked to use Bill’s actual job description as the basis of what he did, but that would be a complicated facade to maintain even in the short term. “Curses on people.”

“How do you know if a person has one?”

“I don’t,” Harry said. “If people think they‘re cursed, then I’ll work with that.”

“And how do you break them?” the ninja asked.

Harry hesitated. But the ninja’s reactions inspired a crazy idea. “I curse them.”

The ninja stared at him with wide eyes. “What?”

“With a temporary non-deadly curse,” Harry explained, suddenly in salvage mode, as he made up the details of his job to sound less terrible. “Something that lasts for a minimum of a day, at least. And when they have suffered through my curse, I’ll remove my curse from them. And then they’re curse free.”

“You can cast curses?”

“I can,” Harry admitted without hesitation. That wasn’t a lie, even if he had a different definition of a ‘curse’.

The ninja leaned back and away from Harry.

“I won’t curse any uncursed people,” Harry said. He didn’t want them to bar him from entry into Konoha because he was too scary. “And I won’t curse people on other people’s requests or demands.”

“You won’t?”

“If someone asks me to curse someone other than themselves, they’re the ones that will end up cursed.”

“You’ll curse them?” the ninja asked.

“I’m not the only source of curses in this world.” Harry felt proud of that sufficiently ominous statement. With their obvious aversion to curses, an unknown force that cursed malicious intent might prevent people from asking him to hurt others. “I’m probably the only one who doesn’t use any permanent or life-threatening curses. I’m just interested in breaking curses.”

The ninja frowned down at the paper for a long while. Then he took a stamp and pressed it on Harry’s documents. “If we get any complaints you have done otherwise, then your stay in Konoha will be reconsidered.”

Given the ninjas’ demeanour about curses, Harry didn’t expect any work.

But within a day of getting his apartment, a middle-aged woman clad in gleaming grey outfit that matched her eyes, sat in front of him, asking for help. As she fiddled with the teacup he had given her, she took a deep breath and said in a barely audible voice, “My mother-in-law cursed me.”

Harry stayed silent. He didn’t know what to say.

The woman took his silence for support and continued, “I married her son ten years ago and we have no children.”

Harry felt the first inklings of just what a bad idea his made-up job could be.

“I’ve been to the hospital and they say I’m perfectly healthy but,” the woman looked up from her teacup with a frown. “It’s been ten years, and that woman is smug at her victory. She keeps telling my husband, he shouldn’t have married me. If he had married someone else, then he’d have children by now.”

“Your mother-in-law is still alive then?” Harry asked.

“Unfortunately,” the woman groused.

Harry had definitely chosen the wrong career to make up. Hoping to sidestep this entire situation, he said, “I’m not sure if you heard about how I work. The only way I can break curses is if I curse you.”

The woman bit her lip but didn’t seem horrified at the idea. “As long as it’s not deadly...”

“It’s a temporary curse,” Harry said. “So there’s a chance it won’t get rid of the curse already on you.”

“I’m willing to try,” the woman replied, her soft voice strong with conviction.

Harry didn’t want to pretend that he could help this woman. But the desperate determination in her eyes told him she wouldn’t leave without something. “I’ll give you a temporary curse. You’ll need to come back so I can remove it.” When she nodded, Harry held out his hand.

Without an ounce of hesitation, she grabbed his hand.

An instant later, Harry let go. “That’s it.”

With confusion, the woman said, “But nothing happened.” She gasped and touched her throat with wide eyes.

Harry nodded. “You can’t stay silent to avoid it.”

For the first time, the woman hesitated, her fingers still at her throat. But she straightened and said, “I will.” The hoarse demonic voice that issued from the usually soft-spoken woman’s mouth was one of the simpler voice-altering spells that Harry knew.

It was only after she left his apartment that Harry realized that he hadn’t told her when to come back to remove the ‘curse’.

Either way, having put a ‘curse’ on someone, Harry happily told his next few visitors he couldn’t help them until his current client’s curse ran its course.

A week later, the woman returned to his apartment, laughter in her grey eyes. Her obvious amusement sounded strange when she spoke in the demonic voice Harry had given her. “My mother-in-law didn’t like the way I talked to her this week. She left our house.”

“I didn’t think the voice would be that hard to hear.”

“Oh no, the sound of my cursed voice had nothing to do with her dislike.” She smiled, looked ten years younger. “It was what I said to her. I‘m not confrontational but something about the cursed voice was liberating. I couldn’t help telling her what I really felt. What I’ve felt for years. Thank you.”

“Congrats?” Harry offered.

“Even if I never have children after this, what you’ve given me with this curse, it’s not something I’ll easily forget. But it’s time to get rid of this voice,” the woman said with a chuckle. “For my husband’s ears at least.”

After a quick shake of hands, Harry said, “That should do it.”

“Thank you,” she said again and smiled even wider at the return of her ordinary voice. Though soft, there was a new confidence in the way she spoke.

A knock on the door prevented Harry from replying.

Harry opened the door to find a man at the door. Clad in an outfit that Harry had seen the ninja wear, the man bowed, but made no move to enter the apartment. “Sorry to bother you, but I’ve come for my wife.”

“Everything’s already finished,” the woman said from inside the apartment.

The lines on the ninja’s face smoothed out and his eyes softened at the sound of her soft voice.

“Did you think it wouldn’t be fixed, dear?” She asked with a laugh as she came to the door. “What would you have done if the curse couldn’t be lifted?”

“I would have managed,” the man said.

His wife laughed at him. “You always were a terrible liar.” She turned to Harry and said, “Thank you, again. I’ve left the payment on the table.”

“But...” Harry protested.

“You’ve earned it,” the woman said with a firm tone. “Truly.” She turned to her husband, “Shall we go have lunch to celebrate?”

“Of course,” the ninja said. Pupiless lavender eyes turned to look at Harry with a cautious look, before the ninja bowed again, “Thank you.”
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 
Look at Harry, being all helpful. I'm sure that lovely couple won't need to bother Harry ever again.

Polar 

No comments:

Post a Comment