01 June 2010

A look at Konoha Politics!

So this is just a collection of political things I've come across from various fanfics, discussions and the Naruto series itself.

The Canon Politics
Daimyos
The ruler of a country who provides funding for the ninja villages. They can decide who becomes the next Kage and if the ninja take a certain military/war actions. (Manga chapters 488)
But this person doesn't really go in depth with the internal ninja affairs. That stuff falls to the Kages.
An interesting tidbit is the Twelve Guardians that contains a combination of ninjas, monks etc. Asuma Sarutobi was a part of them for a while.

Kages

The ruler of a ninja village usually chosen by being the strongest. An existing Kage may retire and pass his title to someone he/she considers the strongest.
In case the Kage dies before choosing a sucessor, a Kage is chosen by the Daimyo and his council. (If you're sneaky enough you can make the Daimyo appoint you as the Kage!)
Responsibilities include
  • protecting the village by any means necessary
  • keeping all your ninja functioning by obtaining and distributing missions
  • wearing a funky hat that acts as identification when all the Kages meet (so there must be something on the hat itself- a seal perhaps?)
Elders/Sandaime's teammates
They seem to have political power but I never really understood how they managed to stay in power. Or why they seem to have so much influence.
Anyway they seem to be part of the Daimyo's council and have a say in the choosing of a Hokage. (Still need to read up some more on them along with Danzo- I'm not completely sure about their duties.)

The Iffy politics (things from fanfics/speculation discussions)
1- Civilian Council
It's basically found in the evil-Konoha/abused-Naruto stories. A bunch of civilian people make up the council and they try to butt into the matter of ninjas and things.
Realistically- I think if this did exist in a ninja village, they would never be able to interfere with ninja matter- not if they value their life. The only thing they'd probably talk about that involved ninja was the civilian-security and stuff like that. Otherwise they'd stick to trade and other boring non-ninja things.

2- The Clan Council
A collection of all the clan heads who decide a lot of ninja related issues! It makes sense in a way because Konoha is filled with a lot of influential clans. But I don't really like this as a political system.

Bits I like
I like the idea of the Hokage having some sort of council to help with ninja affairs. I just don't think it should include people just because they are head of a clan. They should have some sort of purpose in the council, you know? Plus I think the Clan heads are more involved in the running of their clan.

Anyone have any suggestions of things I can read up for more info? I'd really like to read some more things before finalizing my own version of the Konoha politics.

In other news, Chapter 9 is slow but getting there. I haven't gotten past the 5000 word mark yet, so obviously I have a lot of writing left to do. But the research keeps bogging me down. Also random plot bunnies keep distracting me! But I'm hopeful to get most of the writing done by the end of next week. *crosses fingers*

Polar

5 comments:

  1. Right, just so you know who this is from: I'm romantiscue on FF.net

    I can't wait for the next chapter; your story is a very interesting one. I really like how you've set up the crossover, and which characters you've had Harry interact with. I also really like how Harry is not a weak, naive civilian(which is something I see rather often in crossovers, and that annoys me to no end) and how his Reparo abilities are so appreciated. The more 'common' spells are so underappreciated, as is Transfiguration (have you seen how Transfiguration looks, when explained on a blackboard? Really complicated stuff o.o).

    Oh, and those gloves you have Harry wearing is awesomesauce. I'm sure there must have been somethign similar in the canon universe *somewhere*, I refuse to believe wizards would limit themselves by carrying around wands that could just be snatched out of your hand at the most inopportune moment.

    Seeing as you wrote this June 1, and was expecting to "get most of the writing done by the end of next week" - How goes the writing? *stare*

    ReplyDelete
  2. @romantiscue- Thanks for stopping by! Always glad to hear someone's views on my story so far.

    Reparo? I guess I just loved the usefulness of the spell and thought it needed to get some more screen time. It just ended up taking on a life on its own.

    The next chapter- well I'm 70-75% done with the chapter. But I'm stuck on the most important bits- the political aspect- and that's what causing the long delay. Either way I intend to get the chapter out by the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *stops by again*

    Well, Reparo strikes me as something that'd be extremely useful in a ninja village... they're lucky Harry came to town XD (That scene with Dumbledore and Slughorne in HBP is the best scene in the whole movie, hands down.)

    Need someone to bounce ideas off? You know that if there are holes in the politics, you can just fill things up the way that suits your purposes the best. There is so much fanon floating about the managing of Konoha, you can just do whatever you like, pretty much. Or pick up inspiration from real-life political scenes (perhaps Japan's, since that's the society that the Naruto world was based on?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never watched the movie, so I had to youtube what you were talking about. Omg-osh, that reparo for the entire room was epic-ness. *drool*

    I suppose I'm trying to find a balance of how the Hokage would react to someone like Harry. I don't want it to be too predictable or unbelievable. Same thing with other 'political' people. I want them to be ninja but not ninja enough to hurt Harry- if that makes any sense? Balance is a really big issue.

    Look at real life political scenes. Hmm, definitely an interesting way to look at it. Maybe I can find some nice japanese movies to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it?! *happyface*

    Well, have them be retired ninja, then? Ninjas who haven't been active for a long time and have lost their edge a bit?

    ...You just found a legitimate reason to watch some japanese drama you've been wanting to see for a while, didn't you? XD

    ReplyDelete