30 November 2010

End of NaNoWriMo...

As I'm writing this, there's still five-ish hours left until the end of NaNoWriMo- which is a good thing, because I'm still a 1000 words off from completing my goal. It seems that NaNoWriMo has failed to make me a faster writer. Even so I think this whole month has definitely helped me out a bit.

The last two weeks- I really managed to keep up with the daily word count- so I'm proud of not succumbing to my usual procrastination habits.

Having to keep up with the word limit actually does wonders for making you think about description- everything from the smell, taste and look. I have no idea how many odd descriptions I ended up with in my NaNoWriMo writing. Of course most of the descriptions are silly and laughable but since my usual writing lacks proper description- I think this was a good step forward.

Actually there are a lot of laughable things I ended up with during this month.

First on the list would be names- all my character names are just...well, a bit too unique? Yeah, let's go with that. But I guess it's a bit acceptable in a semi-fantasy genre. Villain only got the letter "S" for a name because I honestly couldn't think of a name that wouldn't sound like a cliche evil name. I consider that a step up from a blank space, for now.

And then there's my main character- who for some reason seems to be on the receiving end of a lot of violence and injuries. I have no idea if it was just my mind-set during the month, but I have tons of scenes where my character is bleeding/stabbed/shot and on the verge of dying. Poor thing. Of course my villain does get beat up but not as much as my main character.

Finally there's the plot. Yeah that just took on a life on it's own. I had a plan but this past weekend I was suddenly inspired with the most absurd plot twist. It was so ridiculous that I instantly fell in love with the idea and decided to incorporate it in to the story. Which left me with no idea how to end the story- hence my lack of words at the moment.

What does this mean for AtO's ch11?
Err, nothing actually. I didn't even have time to look at chapter 11 since the start of November. NaNoWriMo really took up all my free brain space. But have no fear, I'll definitely look in to it tomorrow, see how much work it needs and put up a blog post about it soon. It'll be good to go back to something familiar- with nice normal names and appropriately named villains and Hedwig.

You know-odd thought here- I think my love of Hedwig must stem from my own pets. I have two budgies who're utterly fascinated by my laptop when I play budgie clips from Youtube.They're hilarious when they try to investigate my laptop.

That's all for now,
Polar.
P.S. I just realized that none of my NaNoWriMo characters have cool pets. Tch, what a time to get that realization.

P.P.S I really hope people don't spam AtO's review section with questions/demands of updates...should probably put something on my profile page there tomorrow.

P.P.P.S. X-mas is coming. Yay! Must listen to some more Trans-Siberian Orchestra. That might help me write. Now that I think of it, I do have an itch to write a BleachXNaruto one-shot. Must resist the urge until I finish with ch11.

5 comments:

  1. *Dances around in celebration* People are starting to update!!! I didn't get update emails hardly at all... I think I went 8 entire days without an update of any of the fics on my alert list at one point. *tears*

    Anyways If your reading this before midnight just scan threw a dictionary and look for names of tools, rugged things, nasty creatures... it might give you a idea for your villan cliched name. (example= Shreader, Nails, Rocky, Snake)

    Anyways i hope your story went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pariah_authorNovember 30, 2010

    Well, I'm glad you enjoyed NaNoWriMo. I personally signed up a few days before November... and then promptly forgot about it until about two weeks ago. Then I remembered the story I'd planned out and, although I did not lose interest in writing it, I simply found I had more interest for videogames and Youtube videos. So yeah, you aren't a procrastinator by my standards.

    As for hoping people won't start spamming you for updates regarding AtO, I wouldn't bet on it. It's one of the most popular NarutoXHarry Potter crossovers on FF.Net and people have already been waiting for over a month. If you aren't drowning in reviews and emails by tomorrrow morning, you will by the end of the week. Here's a life preserver. Don't let go of it until chapter 11 is ready.

    As for AtO chapter 11 itself, I say in a very not nagging way that I hope it comes out soon. Your story and Sophie3's are my favorite N/HP fics and neither of you have updated for a while. I need my fix! Plus that cliffhanger was absolute evil. What's happening to poor Harry in that room filled with old people? It's like he's been locked in Hell's nursing home since September. You know Danzo would make him do all the bedpan scrubbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're celebrating a bit too early, There's still going to be a bit of a delay for chapter 11, but at least I'm working on it now.

    8 days without an update? Wow. I guess I have way too many stories on alert. Sometimes I get like 2 news chapters a day. Of course I leave all my reading to the weekend...so everything just gets piled together. Sadly some stories got completed.

    Well I left the villain's name as S. I didn't want a cliche name for him. He deserves something unique and who knows maybe if I wait a while, something will come to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know you weren't going to update right away. Not with writing everyday for a month. (To be honest I can't even optimistically imagine it coming before christmas. I can't complain at anyone anyways. I haven't updated my fics in forever.) I'm celebrating everyone who did the contest getting back to fanfics.

    Humm how about a Baby name book? I used to change the spellings or a couple of letters to make Names sound slightly different whenever I tried to find a good name for a game character. That and you get a meaning for the names.

    Anyways thanks for replying! You probably want to take a break from writing anyways. How about a good fan fic? Don't know if you ever read this but it's on par with ATO's in my opinion. You'll like it if you haven't read it.

    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4860864/1/Who_I_Am

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well NaNoWriMo is easier to participate when you have friends doing it alongside you. It's like motivation and rivalry that really makes you want to keep up with the word count. It was really hard not to get distracted from the writing- everything else suddenly became so much more interesting all of a sudden. But I'm glad it's over now.

    Hmm, well I don't really think I'll get spammed during the first week. Today was relatively quiet- maybe I'm getting some reprieve for just getting out of NaNoWriMo? AtO's readers may be impatient but they're super-nice like that as evidenced by the fact that you didn't really nag me about it.

    Hell's nursing home...oh sweet merciful universe, what's with that random scenario you just slid in there. Gah! My mind is suddenly filled with images of wheelchair bound Danzo irritating a Doctor/Caretaker Harry who's just trying to do a check up. Why...just why?

    ReplyDelete