31 August 2012

Movies are fun...

... until you start thinking of crazy fanfiction plot ideas in the middle of the movie.

For instance, I was watching 'Snow White and the Huntsman'. Nice movie, good special fx at least. But there's this one scene where they show a large white deer thing and, I kid you not, my mind is going "Oh! Patronus-Prongs. That reminds me about that patronus scene I put in AtO. I should definitely make..."

Needless to say, when I actually went back the paying attention to the movie, the deer was nowhere in sight and people were fighting... and I was like, noooo I have to remember my plot ideas. I honestly couldn't care less about the movie at that point-I actually giggled at some of the 'serious' parts of the movie and for some reason I imagined writing a story for the BBC Merlin fandom that included crows and a creepy mirror.

Even so, it was a nice movie. A predictable and interesting-looking distraction.

Thankfully, I sort of remember the plot ideas I thought of during the movie.

Something sort of similar happened when I watched 'Brave'. Except during that movie, I was sort of like "Oh, I read about these things in those mythology books... I really need to work on that HPxSpn story." But after that I was completely focused on the film.

So yeah, the point of all this rambling? Err, videos/movies are very inspiring? Snow White would have been even more attention grabbing if the Evil Queen won? I'm apparently more attentive to cartoons than movies? You pick one you like.

Actually there's another reason I mentioned the movies.

Both movies had female leads. And that got me thinking a lot about likeable female characters? What made them likeable- their attitude, strength, looks, circumstances?

I looked at my own favourite female characters. I have loads of them but I've never written a complete story with them as the main focus- being strong and doing heroic deeds. Even the one story with Orihime (What if?) that I wrote- I felt like it was more about Harry who was also a lead character.

So then I was like- am I allergic to writing female lead characters?

And apparently I sort of am. Out of all the fanfic ideas on my laptop, I only have two stories where a female is the main character. One is Lucy Heartphilia from the Fairy Tail manga and another story has Bayonetta as the lead. But even with those two stories, I have character voice and plot writing difficulties.

If I look at the fanfiction I follow/read... well, the leads are all male too.

So I've decided to look for stories with female lead characters. Suggestions are welcome.

Wish me luck,

Polar.

Also just wanted to give a huge Thank You to raisuke143 for her fanart- which is a comic panel of a scene from Chapter 9 of AtO. Here's the link to the dA art page if you want to leave comments, etc.

I personally love the eyes in this picture- they convey a lot. And also the fact that they are portrayed looking young actually makes me imagine all these fluffy/angst/emotional baggage scenes for the future. So once again, thanks Raisuke!

This is the second fanart from this chapter- well, second fanart from this story itself- but from the trend, it feels like chapter 9 is a huge favourite with people. Or maybe it's the most inspiring one when it comes to fanart. Either way it's awesome.

If I had to name my favourite AtO chapter... hmmm, can you guess? Hint: I haven't actually published the chapter online and it's really just an overly optimistic draft. If you guessed my epilogue chapter- then you're right.

It's my favourite because it's a hope-filled chapter... as in, I really hope I'll put it online. I want to say with that it'll definitely be online one day- but that would be a stupid guarantee to make. So let's just hope it'll come  online eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment