10 May 2012

Chapter 13 A/N

There's so much to say about this chapter. Most of it is just random thoughts I had after reading it just before uploading it online. Most of the thoughts center around Harry being awesome in his own unique way.

So bear with me as I go through some of my favourite Harry skills/etc.

If you've read the chapter- you would have noticed an abundance of Harry sleeping in highly uncomfortable places and always waking up not feeling as grumpy as he ought to. I envy him. If I wake up with a stiff neck/back, I'm very inclined to beat someone up and then claim that was a stretching exercise.

Another awesome Harry skill from this chapter? The ability to bring out Naruto's emotions- good, bad and just adorable. But then I sort of go- Harry is way too awesome as an older sibling when he deals with Naruto! My older bro isn't as awesome. His idea of dealing with my bad moods was to hand me a glass of cola and leave me alone.

Hmm, now I wonder if I put too much awesomeness in Harry. I mean he is awesome to begin with- but maybe I've overdone it somehow by making him an idealized version of an older sibling?

Anyway some actual notes about things in chapter 13 

 Shikamaru still smoking- In the manga, they show Shikamaru smoking during the days after Asuma's death, before he meets Hidan and Kakuzu a few days later. It just seemed too easy for Shikamaru to just stop smoking after getting his revenge. Even with the whole symbolism of putting Asuma to rest with the cigarette motif- it was too easy. Letting go of the dead and anything connected to the dead is not supposed to be that easy. So Shikamaru is going to have a smoking problem- not to be considered cool or badass, but because he's a teenager who's dealing with the loss of a mentor as best as he can.

The memorial for the monks- I added that just to have some closure about what happened at the temple. The only real way for Harry to get information about the temple was to get it from a monk. Plus I remembered a reviewer asking me if Sentoki had died too- which I thought was hilarious because that was just such a large leap of logic there. (Also I find it so weird that readers want explanations for the smallest of things- even things that aren't important to the plot at all)

 Sake- I read up so much about it- trying to find out if you can actually get hungover from drinking too much. Of course, the more I read, the more I got distracted from my original search. Eventually I learnt about the different kinds of sake and the etiquette behind sake drinking. I think I spent a good part of Dec last year just reading more and more about it in my spare time (for no reason other than curiosity). Here's the interesting website for more info.

Jiraiya- He's one of my top ten favourite characters in Naruto. So I was very careful about how I wanted him to act. But he's complicated. I personally think he was the most broken of the three sannin. While both his team-mates lost themselves to their grief and ambitions, he pushed himself to not be like them. But that doesn't mean he wasn't jaded after living so long and losing so much along the way. I also wanted to capture just how much of a ninja he is- so I made him cool in some small unexpected ways. I don't know if that came across though.

Harry-decoy plan- Well, what were you expecting? I doubt they'd want to make Harry's trip/disappearance public knowledge in Britain. It works rather nicely for AtO's ending- what I have so far at least.

Harry and alcohol- Teenagers in dorms without adult supervision and friends with the Weasley twins- he must have tried some Firewhiskey. Well, in my head, I'm sure Harry must have at least sipped it out of curiosity.

Lapifors- Is a spell from the Harry Potter games (shows up earliest in the PoA game) Similarly, Avifors is another spell from the games and it shows up in the first game. Thank goodness for the wikia- otherwise I wouldn't have known these spells existed at all.

 Mom and Mum- Naruto uses 'mom' while Harry 'mum'. Yes, that is deliberate on my part. I suppose it's a way to keep Harry's Britishness even though he's not actually talking in English with all the Naruto characters. But using this might show that he has a foreign accent compared to the ninja.

 Sirius's quote from the movie- I liked it, so what?

 Tidbits of information about chapter 13 

1- The first time Harry creates his Patronus, the happy memory he's thinking about is actually a mix of memories- reading his grandmother's letter, hearing from Tsunade that Naruto is his cousin and having Naruto call him nii-san. It's the reason why his Patronus was slightly larger than usual and why he probably cast faster than usual.

2-Naruto could probably say Hermione's name. But in the end, he sort of realizes that if he messes it up too bad, he might upset her. And also he doesn't want to look too bad in front of Harry's important friends, also he might be a bit overwhelmed that Harry told other people about him and those people were excited to see him.

 3- A few of the toasts that Harry makes over the course of their drinking would have made if he had been truly drunk. "To old people who need more warm socks." "To monks who miss their hair." "To Nara-san's shogi BS-ing skills." "To cat-san and not-cat-san and all other cats." Side note: Jiraiya's drunk toast- if he ever managed to get really drunk: "To ****** who ****** and *******"

 4- When Naruto and Harry are using the two-way mirror- eventually, Hermione sees the frozen blue birds and ends up going into a lecture mode-which doesn't shock Naruto at all actually.

 5- Amount of words deleted/moved on to other chapters = Rounded up estimate is almost 3100+ words (about a 1000 of those words got removed just before I uploaded)

Some bits I removed from the chapter (they just didn't fit in) 
 Someone smacked the back of Harry's head.“What the...”
Sai looked at him unapologetically. “Sakura said this is what Naruto would do.”
“Right.” Harry rubbed the back of his head. “That makes perfect sense.”
“It does?" Sai said. "I don't understand the necessity. And it does seem rather harsh considering you are rather delicate...”

“Thank you for the flowers. I'll be sure to tell Naruto you dropped by. Oh! Would you like a moment alone? I can come back in a bit.”
The girl eeped slightly and shook her head vigorously. “You don't have to... I mean, uh... I have to get going.” She spared one last look at Naruto, blush becoming more vivid, and hurried out of the room.
 ===============
 I think that covers just about everything.

Happy reading.

Polar

9 comments:

  1. Guest #309May 12, 2012

    Yay! YayYay!YayYay!
    YayYay!YayYay! YAY!!!
    Can you tell how happy I am? ^____^

    ReplyDelete
  2.  Nope! Can't tell at all. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silent ReaderMay 13, 2012

    Thank you for chapter 13! I loved it! Who cares if I have two exams tomorrow? Polar UPDATED! Whooo!

    There was so much happening in this chapter i don't know where to begin. Shikamaru's problems, Sai's interesting mind, Hedwig being Hedwig,the memorial, news from home and sooooooooooo many Harry/Naruto moments! I cast Lapifors plenty of times so I know it very well:D I liked how you showed Jiraiya too and his interactions with Harry were interesting.

     While I'm happy Harry got a leg up on the seal business, I was really surprised when Jiraiya gave him the book. Why did he do that? He can't trust Harry that much already. The only reason I can think of is that he's going to his Rain country mission but isn't that a bit too early?

    For that matter, I'm a bit confused about the timeline you're following. Naruto's nightmares about Kyuubi, and the whole Sora arc comes before the Hidan and Kakuzu arc. So the Sora stuff happened while Harry was away? Then what about the meeting with Sasuke in, uhhhhhh season 2 of the anime? (sorry I don't read the manga) Naruto has a nightmare in ep.54 of the anime but i don't know if that is in the manga. Before the Jiraiya vs. Pain thing is the 3-tailed turtle arc so is that next or Sora next or the Sasuke arc? AHH I'm confused.

    You were asking whether Harry's being a too good big brother. I have to say that in this chapter Harry fitted perfectly simply because he's already been through what Naruto is now going through. So he knows what to say or do even if he's only following what he wished the people around him had done. I expect there to be rifts ahead for which Harry and Naruto will both be responsible but the bonding in this chapter seems necessary.

    Harry IS awesome, 'nuff said.

    I enjoyed your A/N almost as much as the chapter itself!

    To wrap up, the thing from the chapter which made me most curious was the reaction from Harry's wand to the kyuubi. Is it the pheonix feather taking the kyuubi's chakra as it's enemy? Fire against fire or something like that. One last thing, tell me if I'm right. Harry's right arm has his wand holster and wand. His left arm has the cast, and the threstal bracelet which is in the cast?

    Fav scene:Naruto fell asleep because his nii-san was patting his hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silent ReaderMay 13, 2012

    Ah, i forgot to mention 2 things.

    1. You said before that you tried to make it 3rd person POV, right? Well, it showed. The chapter was a bit smoother than the previous ones, and we were in Harry's head a lot less. Which was a bit annoying sometimes because i wanted to know what Harry was thinking.

    2.What is up with Houdini Kakashi? Now you see him, now you don't. Is he avoiding Harry? Is Harry reminding him of Sasuke or Obito somehow? I can't really see how, but oh well i guess we'll find out.

    As for the stuff which was deleted, will you be uploading any more? And where was the Sai/Harry scene originally? On that note, could we get a scene showing Kakuzu boasting about his victory or the scene in which everybody agreed Harry tried a suicide jutsu and Naruto disagreed LOUDLY? I guess we'll see the implications of everybody thinking Harry knows how to use his chakra in the story ahead later.

    ...........How many things was that? I think i went over my limit. Oops.

    P.S. Hinataaaaaaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg-osh, just seeing such a long post turned me into goo even before I actually read it. And then I read it and a part of me went- wow, someone has a lot of patience to write all that here.

    Hmm, the first thing to address. From my own personal experience, I know that when you're meeting new relatives, you're always trying to be on your best behaviour so that you come off as likeable. And it takes a while to get comfortable enough to show your 'bad' and 'unlikeable' side- so I'll be applying that same principal to AtO. Besides, I've always felt that the fights and arguments between people you are closest/comfortable with are more dramatic/painful/etc.

    Hm, scene with Kakuzu bragging to the ninja? I'll think about it, no promises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hope you did well on your exams. If not, well psh, who really cares about exams anyway.

    I think I've mentioned this before but I'm not fond -in fact I despise them- of the anime filler arcs (Arcs that didn't happen in the manga). The Sora arc was just so annoying to watch and besides it happens before the destruction of the Fire Temple. I only use the manga timeline and add my own events in between the major events that happen there.

    I might take bits and pieces from the anime filler arcs and twist them to create new things but they won't be a major part of the story timeline (so don't expect to see Yukimaru or Guren)- if that makes any sense.

    The threstal hair in on the left hand and it currently underneath his cast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know that reading it was smoother even with the absence of Harry's internal monologuing.

    Houdini Kakashi- pft. That is going to be stuck in my head for a while.

    Hmm, the Harry/Sai scene was at the gate, after they all return from defeating the Akatsuki pair. Don't really remember what I was planning to do with that.

    Oh, another request for Kakuzu boasting. Like I told DreamofStories, down below, I'll think about it, but no promises. As for the whole discussion about the suicide jutsu- will also think about it but no promises.

    Yup, Hinata- who was only in that one bit. I didn't write anything more with her, so I just scrapped the idea of introducing here in this chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think Harry is too-awesome at being an older brother. He's just a generally good guy who also has the history that makes him *want to be* a good older brother. It's not like he hasn't made mistakes already. :)

    "To monks who miss their hair." "To Nara-san's shogi BS-ing skills." "To cat-san and not-cat-san and all other cats."

    Oh, this was mentioned before but I'm kind of... slow to process things sometimes. When Sai mentioned that Harry was delicate... at first I assumed it was connected to him being a civilian, but it's been mentioned in other drabbles along with that remark about him possibly being a fallen prince or of a noble family because of his pale skin. We all know Harry is pale because the poor sod is English, but has his paleness been considered a mark of delicacy/sheltered life by others? Aside from the one transfigured outfit we've seen, does he have many clothes? How has his obvious ease with money been seen? He doesn't charge much, isn't looking for fame (and reacts badly to the idea entirely), buys lots of food, gifts for Naruto and meals for his friends... along with plants for himself, books, all the while seeming to do his job more as a hobby than a way to make a living. Is this noted or remarked upon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, well I haven't really concentrated on any of those questions in AtO directly so far- the drabbles don't really count cos they were written as extra things which aren't really a part of AtO's timeline/storyline.

    But obviously Harry's looks, attitude and lifestyle play a major role in confusing all the ninja around him. I'll definitely try to hint more of that aspect eventually...

    ReplyDelete