06 December 2014

AC_D6: Editing Resources

It's the sixth day of Advent Calendar series and it's been 'editing day' for me ever since I got home.

I'm not going to lie, it's been tedious.

I had to stop myself from writing various plotbunnies, because that would make me procrastinate and not go back to editing.

Thankfully, there are a few helpful things that I've found that makes editing easier.

It's a long checklist and I like it for being so thorough and educational. It's easy to forget the basic rules of grammar sometimes.

An online editor. Just copy bits of your writing (it only allows 1000 words at a time) and be astounded by the amount of stuff (especially the little errors) this thing picks up. It's good for catching things you'd otherwise miss.

I may or may not have mentioned this bit of software before. But this is a text to speech software and it's been a real help for me. Having your work read out to you, helps you pick up errors or odd sounding bits that you would have missed with plain old reading.

Also, the way the voices mess up non-english words will make you giggle. And that's a good way to deal with the monotony of editing.

Okay, I'm going to go back to editing now. Wish me luck in staying focussed.
Polar

No comments:

Post a Comment