08 December 2014

AC_D8: Fantasy Manga Recs

Fantasy is my favourite genre. Anything with swords, magic, interesting worlds and characters is perfect to read when I need a break.

So I thought I'd share a few of my favourite fantasy manga.

1. Saver(Complete)
In a nutshell, the main character, Lena gets transported to a different time and place where she's destined to save the world. Also, she hides the fact that she's woman and calls herself Ley. But there's so much more to that- good artwork as it progresses, a fleshed out interesting world, characters with all sorts of motivations and a really good female lead character.
Lena/Ley is wonderful- she's stoic, a strong fighter and a good leader. 

2. Id
Chunhwa, the super-strong male protagonist who goes by Id, also gets transported to another world filled with elves, dwarves, etc and gets mistaken for a girl. This manga has a very interesting world, unique ideas and generally likeable characters. But I haven't seen an update for this in a while.

3. Claymore (Complete)
In a world where monstrous 'youma' eat people and can disguise themselves as humans, a mysterious organization uses half-human-half-youma female warriors called Claymores to deal with the monsters. Brilliant fight scenes, monster designs and good characters. I've followed this for a while and was sad when it completed this October, but I enjoyed it a lot.

4. Kubera
Having a god's name, Kubera's story starts when she sees her village getting destroyed. In her journey forward, she meets magicians, gods and demons. I've been following this for a while now and I like all the different elements in- mostly the hinted past and possible future. And I'm eager to see what happens in the future.

5. Berserk
Warning: This manga contains mature/horrid subject matter.
This manga has been around for a while. It's grim, tragic and violent and I like it. When I first started reading this, I couldn't stop because I wanted to know what happened next. Most times, horrible things happened. This is a manga that brings tragedy to a whole new level. But I follow it because the story is good. The artwork gets better. I don't expect a happy ending for this but I'm still keen to see how it ends.

I do follow a ton of other fantasy manga (Fairy Tail, Rain, etc), but I don't want to just list them without giving my thoughts on them. So I'll slowly add to this list in the future.

Polar

No comments:

Post a Comment